Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cooking Adventures: Salmon Cooking Technique

One night, I ventured into Central Market (love) and passed by the seafood counter, looking for some inspiration for dinner. The guy behind the counter was able to talk me into some type of salmon that was hardly ever on sale (I think it was from New Zealand?) and even gave me a few ounces for free. I have also cooked this recipe with 6.99$ a lb salmon and it was totally tasty too!

 I love salmon but sometimes I find it difficult to cook because it seems very easy to over-cook (and over cooked salmon is fun for no one). The seafood man gave me a simple recipe that changed my life and made cooking salmon a lot less intimidating. First, you season the salmon with whatever you like- the beauty of this fish is that so many different things work! I used a fish rub that the guy at Central Market also recommended (so so good).

{Image via}


Heat a skillet that you are able to cover to medium high heat and drizzle some olive oil in the pan. When it's hot, put the salmon FISH side down (not skin side) and sear for 2 minutes. This locks in the seasoning and gives you a lovely outside crust. Flip the salmon over carefully and reduce the heat slightly, covering the fish with the lid. Let it steam and after 8-10 minutes (could be shorter or longer, depending on thickness) you will have a beautiful tasty and EASY dinner! The beauty of this cooking method is that you can let the salmon cook as long as you need-- the fatty skin creates a nice layer of protection that won't allow the bottom to burn! I've made this more than once now and it is just a favorite in our house...and healthy too!

 Do you have a favorite fish dish that you like to make? What is your preferred cooking method?

No comments:

Post a Comment