Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cooking Adventures: Portobello Pizza

Cooking is not exactly my favorite thing to do, but every once in a while I get inspired. I figured I'd try a recipe and then share my experience with you all! I have wanted to try this recipe for a long time, but my husband doesn't like mushrooms much so I waited until he was out of town on a trip to experiment! As far as ease goes, this recipe takes the cake. It took NO time to put together and there was hardly any cleanup. LOVE. Also, for those of you watching your gluten, this is completely gluten-free!

recipe adapted from www.tenleymolzahn.com


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees so it's ready to go when you're done prepping the pizza :).

Pick yourself out a lovely medium/large portobello mushroom, and then remove the stems and the "gills" (this is the dark fan-looking part on the underside of the mushroom). You might want to run a damp paper towel over the outside of the mushroom to clean it.
Before stem/gills removed


Cleaned and stem/gills removed


Now, you're ready to add your toppings. I chose onions, bell peppers and mozzarella. Add a layer of tomato sauce before you add your other toppings (Side note: I used Prego pasta sauce but I think next time I would go for PIZZA sauce...the pasta sauce turned out a little watery). 

Now you're ready to put the pizza in! I put mine on a layer of foil on a baking sheet to cook--- even EASIER clean-up! I cooked mine for about 12 minutes, but I think next time I would go a bit longer (maybe up to 15-17 minutes) to "crisp" the cheese a little. Ovens can vary on their cooking speed, so it's good to check and cook it just like you like it! 
finished product :)


RECIPE REVIEW:
Like I said, as far as ease goes....SO EASY. I loved how fast I could put this together (very important to me!!!). Now, also like I said, I think I would choose an actual "pizza" sauce next time because the pasta sauce did make it slightly watery. I also think I would add some seasonings- italian seasoning, pizza seasoning, I don't know...just something to boost the flavor a little! That said, I absolutely loved the texture of the mushroom and the idea of eating pizza without feeling super full from thick pizza crust! I will definitely make this again, and hopefully you will like it if you try it! Let me know in the comments what you think. 

Next time, I spotlight my friend's annual Valentine's Day Tea Party! Very exciting things coming up...stay tuned! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment